1. Students will be allowed to visit the Media Center from 8:00 a.m. until 2:40 p.m.
2. Generally, the library will remain open to teachers until 3:20 p.m.
1. Books may be checked out for one week at a time. Students are encouraged to renew their books if they do not finish reading it within that week.
2. As soon as a student returns a book, they are free to check out
3. Staff members have no limitations placed on the number of books
they may check out or the length of time the books may be
checked out. All staff books must be returned by the end of the
4. Reference books may be checked out to a teacher for use in the
Overdue, Damaged, or Lost Materials
1. Escambia County Middle School does not charge fines for overdue materials.
2. If students have overdue books, they are not allowed to check out additional items.
3. When a book is lost or damaged beyond repair, payment is to be made in the library, by cash or money order (no checks). A receipt will be provided. The money will be used to replace the lost or damaged book.
4. At the end of the school year a deficiency for overdue books will be issued and the return of or payment for the missing materials is expected before the last day of school.
The Library Media Center (LMC) is open for student use during school hours: 8:00 -2:40.
ALABAMA VIRTUAL LIBRAY (AVL)
About the Alabama Virtual Library
The Alabama Virtual Library provides all students, teachers, and citizens of the State of Alabama with online access to essential library and information resources. It is primarily a group of online databases that have magazine, journal, and newspaper articles for research. Through the AVL, an equitable core of information sources are available to every student and citizen in Alabama, raising the level of excellence in schools and communities across the state.
Computer and Internet Use
The LMC has computers and a networked printer available for student use. Students may use these computers for research, word processing, desktop publishing, and multimedia productions.
Access to the computers and internet services are given to students who agree to act in a considerate and responsible manner.
Behavior While in Library
Absolutely no food or drinks are allowed in the LMC, which includes gum, candy, sunflower seeds, water, and sodas.
Students should enter the LMC quietly and read, study, and work quietly while in the LMC.
Remember the LMC staff is here to help you in the LMC, do not hesitate to ask!
Escambia County Middle School has partnered with the Escambia County Cooperative Library System to offer your child access to eBooks. Libby is a free app where you can borrow eBooks and digital audiobooks from your public library. You can stream books with Wi-Fi or mobile data, or download them for offline use and read anytime, anywhere. In order to access the eBooks your child will need to sign up for a free eBooks library card. Mrs. Chavers, ECMS’s Media Specialist, will be offering the eBooks library card to all students at ECMS. If you are interested in getting a free eBooks library card for your child please call ECMS at, 368-9105 extension 5. With your eBooks card you can check out up to four items at a time. After your lending time has expired, the item will disappear from your device.
Getting started with Libby
Libby is made possible by your local library
The Libby app is the easiest way to get started with digital books, audiobooks, and magazines from your public library!
1. Install the Libby app from the app store on your Android, iOS (iphone/iPad/iPod touch), or Windows 10 device.
2. In Libby, follow the prompts to find your library and sign in with a valid library card.
3. Browse your library's collection and borrow a title.
4. Borrowed titles appear on your SHELF and download to the app automatically when you are on Wi-Fi so you can read them when you are offline.
From your SHELF, you can:
- Tap Open Book, Open AUdiobook, or Open Magazine to start reading or listening.
- Tap Manage Loan to see options like Renew, Return, or Send to Device to send a book to Kindle
If you can not get LIbby on your device, you can try using the original OverDrive app.
For more help, visit help.overdrive.com or meet.libbyapp.com